Sunday, March 6, 2011

Marsala... maybe?



So this was my attempt at Indian food. It's sort of like a chicken marsala minus the chicken. I sort of just winged it, I'm wasn't really concerned about it being authentic Indian...

Marsala?

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil
½ an eggplant
6 medium mushrooms
1 bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
½ can
(of 6 oz) of tomato paste
½ cup water
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 tsp curry
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp plain yogurt
chopped fresh cilantro to taste

Directions

Chop all the vegetables any way you like, leave the skins on the eggplant. In a medium sauce pan heat the oil and add the vegetables as well as the grated ginger; sauté in oil until soft.

Clear out the middle of the pan (add a little more oil) and add the spices. Let them roast for about a minute in the oil.

Add the can of tomatoes (don’t drain), mix in the tomato sauce as well as the water. Bring to about a boil then let cool for about 10 min (stir occasionally, really mix up the spices).

Add in the yogurt, mix well. Add in the cilantro, stir and serve.

-
I've made this a couple times now and I've done it once with meat and once without. I used lamb the second time, it was pretty good but I would say the dish is fine if not better without meat. What I did for the lamb was sear it in a plan with oil and spices, remove it, then
sauté the vegetables and such like the rest of the recipe says and added the lamb back in at the boil.

For the rice I made it like I normally would in the rice cooker then added 2 tsps curry power and about a few squirts of lemon juice and mixed all that together.

The dish is really easy to make, it's pretty much
sauté vegetables, add spices, mix in tomato + yogurt and done. It's relatively cheap as well, the only real investment is the spice. Once you have them all you are set for a long time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment